Thursday, May 8, 2014

my very own unexpected love story

I will try to leave out all of the really mushy stuff for you anti-romantics (or "closet romantics" as I like to call you people. It's okay, you can come out, it's safe here...wanna hug and have a serenaded, candle-lit dinner??). When it comes to telling a real-life love story, there are really two types of responses that people have. The first group of people want to know all of the details and to live the story of fluffy bunny's, love poems and sparkly-eye-meeting-moments with the person and their new “how I met the love of my life on cloud 9!” affair. There might even be buttery popcorn and chocolate ice cream during the tale of loooove. Then, there's the other type. You know who you are, you can't be bothered with all the details. You just want to know the facts. No fluffy bunny's, no buttery popcorn and, please, retrain from using sparkly or poem at any time. And, if possible, DO NOT say love during your one-sentence description of you new “life experience”.  To be politically correct in Cupid's world, I know there are other types of responses, but for dramatic and story-telling purposes, please don't be offended by my two choice responses. Remember, I already named all the rest of you in the first sentence, you closet romantics, you.

So, back to the details (fluffy bunny person, pay attention) and facts (anti-fluffy bunny person, uh, you'll probably just wanna stop reading). With all of the other amazing experiences I am having here in Israel, I have found myself with a new and unexpected surprise, love.   Now, before you start thinking about how long I've been here and if I should be really using such a powerful word in such a short period of time, just please let me explain myself. I assure you that I have thought this through and know what I am doing. Please don't try to talk me out of it or give me any advice, no raining on my cloud. This may come to a surprise to some of you, but somehow, it has happened that I am falling for four people at one time. Four wonderful humans. Three guys and one girl. I adoringly call them my students.
 
Okay, okay, I know that it's not what you were expecting.  But it is the truth.  Please understand my parallel to a “love story”, I assure you, it's all proper.
 
As stated in my very first blog entry, I have worked with children for a good portion of my life. I believe in them and desire to see them succeed and to know of their unique and individual importance. I really want every person to know that, but especially young people. Youth, in general, are looking for truth and importance. Even if they can't put it into words, they want to know how to succeed and want to be told that they are unique. I do not take lightly the opportunity of responsibility that I have been gifted while I am here in Israel.
 
So, when a person (namely me) feels that way about young ones, it's hard to NOT adore the moments that have been given to them. Everyday I am amazed at how I can care so deeply for children that are not my own. (FACTUAL ROMANTICS, IF YOU HAVE – FOR SOME REASON – CONTINUED READING, YOU MAY WANT TO RUN FOR COVER NOW. I WARN YOU, I'M ABOUT TO BE VERY TRANSPARENT). I expressed my care for the children to their Mother. I explained to her that if I were in her shoes, I would be homeschooling my own children.  Also, I told her that since I don't have any living children of my own (I have a furry, feline child back home, but she doesn't count), I will pour all that I have to give into someone else's living, children treasures. When I told her all of this, her response was genuine and heartfelt. She said, “Love them like they are your own. They are your children. You are free to love them”.  If you could've been in my shoes at that moment, you would understand how her honesty and words of blessing pierced my heart with gratitude. I would've taught them with respect and care regardless of those words, but to hear someone say something like that is very powerful. It is inspiring and fills a person with a sense of freedom: freedom to teach without borders, freedom to love with understanding, freedom to discipline with honesty and freedom to be me (I really don't need anyone's permission to be me....you know what I mean, it gives a sense of peaceful freedom).

As I watch the kids grow in their appreciation for learning and say things like, “That was fun. I like to write (please note, that in itself IS a miracle)”, my heart swells with joy to see their feeling of success.  I'm sure there are fluffy bunny's in there somewhere, too, as well as sparkly-eye-moments. The sparkly-eye-moments are not from looking deeply and passionately into another's eyes, though. Those moments are from my eyes glistening with tears as I respect and love those four young students and they respect and love me right back.

And, friends, if that's not a real-life love story, then I don't know what is.

 
The above are from the Valley of Elah and the Brook Elah.  We climbed up Tel Socoh to get a better vantage of the valley. This valley the site of a famous Biblical battle.  Notice the kids are holding FIVE stones from the Brook.....Any guesses on the battle? It's in 1 Samuel 17.
Me and B at Caesarea National Park. Look at that amazing water!
The three men and my eye

The Bell Caves at Bet Govrin-Maresha National Park
 

1 comment:

  1. Amazing locations. Love the sun pouring in one! Lucky kids.

    ReplyDelete