Sunday, April 20, 2014

The world in Jerusalem

I knew that my alarm was going to go off at 4am this morning.  I knew it was because I set it to do so. Friends, 4am is early. I'm pretty sure that I listened to it ring and ring before my brain registered its blaring cry in the darkness. I rolled over and looked at the time. Yup, it was 4:04am. Half asleep, I stood and walked to the bathroom and turned on the light. I hoped that by switching on the light, it would switch on my brain. Nope, it mostly just blinded me. Once I was finally able to see again, I looked at myself in the mirror. Whoa, who is that tired-looking person? Oh, it's me.

I kicked myself into gear because there was a reason for the 4am alarm cry. I was going to Jerusalem for a Resurrection (Easter) Service.  It is about a 45-minute drive from where I live.  I was going to a Christian Sunrise service at the Garden Tomb, starting at 6:30am.  After getting a cup of "the liquid of my people (coffee)'', I was fully awake and filled with anticipation. But, just like every other experience here thus far, it was blind anticipation. I didn't really know what to expect. Upon arriving, there was a big crowd waiting to enter. The service was to be in English, but there were other Christian services following throughout the day in other languages.  I enjoyed listening to the surrounding conversations and noticed the joy on the faces of the people.  There was joy because we all came to the service for the same thing, to celebrate Resurrection (Easter) Sunday!  I could sense a "oneness" with all who where there and shared many smiles with those standing around me.  I even begin to chat with a young girl next to me and she was from Kent, Wa!  Her schoolmate was from Sammamish, Wa. The world can be so big and small, all at the same time!

The Garden Tomb is where Jesus Christ rose after three days of being in the grave/tomb. 

Fear not! said the Angel, for I know that you seek Jesus, Who was crucified.  He is not here: for He is risen as He said He would. Come, see the place where the Lord Jesus Christ lay!  And go quickly, and tell His disciples that He is risen from the dead; and, behold, Jesus went before you into Galilee; there you shall see Him. Matthew 28:5-7

I thought of this as I scanned all the faces after I found a seat. There was a Scandinavian family next to me on one side, a man from Denmark on the other, a man from Indonesia and a Japanese family in front of me.  I was overwhelmed with how many people were there and from so many different places.  It was truly special. Once the service started, the specialness just got more specialer (I know...). From beginning to end, I absorbed this once-in-a-lifetime moment. There was a slight breeze and the trees swayed with the music of the wind. Eurasian Collared Doves, Common Swifts, and other native birds used the music in the wind to dip and turn through the sky, adding their own amazing song.

Even for those of you who wouldn't consider yourselves "religious", I can tell you that this was overwhelmingly awesome.  No matter what the cause or reason for a huge number of people to come together, the impact of a group of people, with one mind, heart or reason, is quite powerful. People from around the world were in one place, The Garden Tomb in Jerusalem, for one reason, with one mind and heart. It was so very powerful. A little piece of my heart will forever be in that back row, next to the yellow rose bush, in the heart of the Lord Jesus Christ's land.

So, when you can't get the picture you are hoping for, you just jump into someone else's. Either I photo-bombed them or they photo-bombed me.  You can decide for yourself. The incriminating evidence is there.
 



2 comments:

  1. What an amazing experience to be there Easter Sunday! Very awe-some. And that last picture made me seriously laugh out loud!! Love you friend! He is risen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that picture, too! I know it's you because of the dazzling smile. Such an amazing experience to be in Jerusalem on Easter Sunday! I am SOOOO happy for you! Love, Shelley

    ReplyDelete